4 Large Apples
1 cup oats
2 cup Graham Crackers, crushed into crumbs
1/3 cup and 2 tbsp granulated sugar
1 stick (1/2 cup) salted butter
2 tbsp Brown Sugar
1/2 cup raw almonds
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 tbsp lemon juice (fresh is best!)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees
1. Peel, core and dice your apples. You want the apples to be small and evenly chopped so that they cook evenly.
2. Add lemon juice, 2 tbsp sugar and cinnamon to apples, mixing throroughly and set aside to let the flavors marinate as you make the crust/crumble.
3. In a blender, combine the almonds, remaining sugar, oats, brown sugar, 6 tbsp of butter, and graham crackers. The end result? A crumbly mixture, that, when pinched in your fingers, sticks together.
4. Use half of the graham cracker mixture and pressing it into a dish (you can use a 9×9 pan or, as I used, a 10×5 (approx) oval baking dish), form a crust on the bottom, like so:
5. Next come those delicious, lemon, sugar and cinnamon soaked apples…
6. Then sprinkle the rest of the crust/crumble all over the top of the apples. Then, make Paula Deen proud and using the remaining 2 tbsp of butter, place pats of butter around the crust. See below:
7. Place in oven for 30 minutes. To test readiness, put a sharp knife through the dish and if it goes through easily, and the apples are cooked, it’s ready! For maximum tastiness, serve with ice cream while warm. Enjoy!